miércoles, 30 de octubre de 2013

GUILLERMO PORTIELES @ ARCH GALLERY



GUILLERMO PORTIELES: THE WHEEL REVISITED: Molding Identity, Curated by Daniela Montana will open at Arch Gallery on Friday, November 8th, 2013, from 7:30-10:00 pm and will run through January 2014. The wheel has been at the center of human technological advancement since the Stone Age and continues to hold its place in our evolution as we enter the Molecular Age. Join us for a unique exploration of this common-place object in Guillermo Portieles’ upcoming individual exhibit at Arch Gallery, located at 1619 SW 13 Street, Miami FL 33145. For further information please call 305-644-7500 or e-mail info@ArchGallery.US or visit our website at www.ArchGallery.US.

Of his work Portieles has written, “Art heals the spirit by virtue of the creative process. The act of creation engages memories embedded in our cells and resurrects past experiences, both lived and unlived, that have forged our identity as human beings. My artwork employs a language of memories reminiscent of other times. The elements that populate my canvases trace back beyond the images of my own childhood into the very roots of existence. The passion of art allows me the joy of reliving the images and emotions of my homeland. As the vestiges of everyday life were not valued in my work, I had to find my way in different cultures, where the reality of my heritage moved into the gossamer world of memory-- the common became the sustenance of my artistic spirit. The creative play of the imagination, the pretense between reality and representation, allows my art to continuously evolve. Some memories fade while others move into consciousness. Reviving these images is like living them again, allowing the painful and the sublime to find refuge on the canvas in the healing transformation of art.”

Opening reception
Friday, November 8, 2013
7:30pm - 10:30pm
Arch Gallery, 1619 SW 13 Street, Miami FL 33145

(info via Arch Gallery on Facebook)

No hay comentarios:

El Destierro de Calibán, por Iván de la Nuez

    El Destierro de Calibán Iván de la Nuez 1996 I «Los cubanos harían bien en ser afrancesados .» Así habló Sartre. Fu...